The purpose of the NMDVR is to help people with disabilities achieve a suitable employment outcome.
Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) is a State and Federally funded program designed to help eligible individuals with documented disabilities find suitable employment. VR is a voluntary program, and services persons who want to work. With a long history of success and proven methodology for making the best fits, time and again, DVR is committed to helping out clients succeed. In addition, we partner with companies and agencies seeking opportunities to enhance and diversify their workforce.
- Someone with a disability?
- Having difficulty gaining or maintaining employment?
- Able and wanting to work?
- Requiring the assistance of Vocational Professionals to gain or maintain employment?
- Seeking qualified participants to diversify the workplace?
If you answered "Yes" to any of the questions above, we strongly encourage you call 1-800-224-7005 or visit your local NMDVR Office to obtain additional information.
What DVR is NOT
VR is not an emergency service provider. If you need assistance with food, housing, medical care, or income, contact your County Social Services office. DVR cannot find you a job immediately; there are steps that we need to follow to make sure you find suitable employment. If you need a job immediately, please contact your local Workforce Center.
The mission of the NMDVR is to encourage and assist the efforts of New Mexicans with disabilities to reach their goals for working and living in their communities.
Every New Mexican with a disability has the opportunity to contribute to the quality of life and the economic prosperity of the state.
Benefits of Partnering with NMDVR
Each case is assessed on an individual basis to ensure that the participant's strengths, talents, circumstance and needs are taken into account. NMDVR does not use the "cookie cutter" approach for any participant. The participant will work closely with his/her counselor to determine what services are required and necessary to acquire or return to work.
NMDVR may help a participant by:
- Providing qualified VR Counseling staff to help break through road blocks in the workplace while guiding the participant through the employment process;
- Assisting in seeking out a career that fits the participant based on his/her interests, skills, and abilities;
- Preparing the participant for the entry-level job that will launch a career path;
- Providing one-on-one Job Placement Assistance;
- Networking with other community partners to support the participant on the job;
- Providing guidance on how to access employment-related laws such as the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) and accessing proper accommodations;
- Providing access to assistive technologies; and
- Providing basic information about Social Security and Ticket to Work benefits.
New Mexico offers a strong, diverse workforce you may not even know about. These men and women have a range of skills and abilities, and they could really help your business grow.
Across New Mexico, too many workers with proven skills are currently left out of the workplace. As New Mexico's leading placement organization for people with disabilities, the NMDVR is working to change this by bridging talent and ability so companies and employees succeed.
DVR is committed to helping our employer partners find candidates who are skilled, loyal, and committed to your success. Even after placement, employers and employees receive ongoing support from DVR's professional staff, including job training, guidance on the ADA regulations, and information on disability and employment guidelines. We can help with financial incentives and facilitation of tax credits.
Below are some services employers may be interested in accessing:
- Consultation, technical assistance and guidance on how to access the ADA, Accommodations, Assistive Technology, Staff Training, and available Tax Credits;
- Support to the employee with a disability including VR guidance & counseling, referral to resources for problem solving to maximize success;
- Liaison services between an employee and the employer.
NMDVR recognizes and acknowledges companies that actively embrace hiring employees with disabilities through an annual recognition ceremony and NMDVR's Annual Report.